"Legalize It" and 10 Other Great Ganja Songs

So, marijuana is really legal in Canada now, eh?

I can't say I trust this entire process and change of reality, and for that reason I'll keep my personal and political views to myself. Buuuut I must say, marijuana and music have always fit comfortably together in the most intimate of ways for artists and musicians and creative folks everywhere.

Rolling Stone magazine released a great list of ganja-friendly songs earlier this year, including classic rock artists like The Beatles, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, and Tom Petty. I thought it was a good time to reflect on my own personal favourite weed-appreciation tracks. Here they are, to enjoy on this special day in Canadian history: October 17, 2018.

Legalize It
Peter Tosh







Mary Jane
Rick James












Kaya
Bob Marley












One Draw
Rita Marley






Missy Elliott 











Smoke the Herb
Bounty Killer








Gimme The Weed
Jigsy King












Ganja Farmer
Marlon Asher









Sensimilia
Buju Banton












Marijuana Pon De Corner
Richie Spice









Herbman Hustling
Sugar Minott












Oh, wait. There are way more than ten! What was I thinking?! As a matter of fact, the more I listen to them, the more I remember just how many fabulous, vibsey cannabis tracks exist in the world of music. In the world of reggae alone, the list is practically endless. Here are some more honourable mentions:










Under Me Sensei // Barrington Levy

Police in Helicopter // John Holt

The Herb // Tony Rebel

We Be Burning // Sean Paul

100 Pounds of Collie // Cornell Campbell

Sensimilla // Barrington Levy

Stalk of Sensimilla // Michael Rose

Smoke Marijuana // Sizzla

Cannabis // Bushman

HAPPY 10/17, CANADA!

Be careful out there. This might take some getting used to. Here are the official regulations, from the Government Of Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-medication/cannabis/laws-regulations.html.







Written by Stacey Marie Robinson for Kya Publishing's "Urban Toronto Tales" blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 100 Jamaican Names

Why I'm Willing to Forgive Kevin Hart...

Kevin Hart & The Wayans Bringing Funny Back to Television