Less "Beef" & More Unity, Please!

I'll be the first to admit that I enjoy the entertainment industry in all of its mess and glory. I watch TMZ and E! News daily (along with other news programs, of course), and I am usually pretty up-to-the-times on the wha gwan with the creative folks in the public eye.

I love to be entertained by talented folks! I admire their hard work. I admire their perseverance and thick skin. I admire their movies, their albums, and their fashions. I love art, and the process of producing art.

That being said, I could do less with the "beef" culture, and how it has permeated the otherwise inspiring talent that I consume on a daily basis. I think at this point in pop cultural history, it's time to usher in an era of support, positivity, and progress. It's almost a necessity, given the political unrest that the majority of these cultural icons are currently living in.

We've all been entertained by the stories over the years. If you're a reggae lover, it goes back to Bounty Killer & SuperCat war-ing in the mid-90s, and continues on to include rifts between Bounty and Beenie Man, Shabba and Ninjaman, artists like Aidonia and Busy Signal, Spice and Macka Diamond the female representatives jumped in the ring on the 2012 Sting stage in Jamaica, and controversy has continued to the Vybz Kartel and Mavado beef, etc. etc.

Fans are loyal, and we often stand by our artists. We stand behind the singers that move us, the actresses we admire, and the models we endorse. It's almost like a part of the legacy, when you have a sect of individuals who are passionate about your art and will defend your honour. This happened with Michael Jackson and Prince, even with Lady Gaga and Madonna, and has really been a part of the entertainment journey.

I believe it was Kevin Hart that once declared that the industry is created that way: artists are built up, praised and glorified, and when they reach a level of status and excellence...in come the haters. In comes the controversy, the deep secrets, and the "haters." And it is in this moment when your stamina as a professional artist is really challenged. It is within the turmoil and the rumours when one must either build up a strong armour and keep pushing on...or you fall. You fall victim to the negative energy, you buckle under the pressure, and you let the side noise take the place of your passion and artistic objective.

We can all probably list dozens of other artists that were the subject of public battles. In hip hop alone we have Nas vs. JayZ, Remy Ma vs. Nicki Minaj, 50 Cent vs. The Game, Lil Kim Vs. Foxy Brown, and of course the most historic beef of them all: Tupac vs. Biggie. Whether fictional or the real deal, we are brought into the drama as spectators, and left to judge artistry, authenticity, and worthiness between the public figures.

It is as though only one can reign, and to imagine unity and co-existence is unacceptable. This has been our bad training, and I think I speak for many when I say that I'm exhausted from it! I didn't realize how exhausting it was, until I saw the photo of Drake and Meek Mill "squashing" their beef once and for all. It was a reassuring publicity moment, and I couldn't help but hope that this was the beginning of a beautiful trend.

Without getting into political discussion, it goes without saying that leadership is key when it comes to setting the tone, determining the trends, and being a consistent example of behaviour and perspective. With good leadership comes a healthy culture, in the workplace, in political office, and of course: in hip hop and entertainment.

So I had to give thanks for Drake and Meek Mill for circulating that visual representation of unity. For what it's worth, it made me feel good about the direction of the hip hop culture for a minute.

I know hip hop, and TMZ are not the end-all and be-all of the world we live in, but I do also realize the impact that pop culture and the millions of messages we all consume on a daily basis have on our psyche. I can also appreciate that whether it's your local DJ, your high school teacher, the mayor of a city, or the president/prime minister of a country, everyone that has a voice and a platform also has a level of responsibility.

Over the decades, I can distinctly remember the images, the messages, the songs, the movies, and the books that inspired and motivated me. There are individuals that I may never meet that had a great impact on how I see the world, how I conduct myself, and what I believe in. Along with community leaders and family members, there are so many opportunities to inspire greatness...so I have to give credit where credit is due, and breath a sigh of relief for the pleasant images that pop and urban culture provided me with this week.

What moved me the most was seeing the level of class that Serena Williams had this week, despite being unfairly treated at the U.S. Open. I loved the way she stood up for herself, I love the way she spoke, the words she choose, the tone of her voice, and how she made sure to push her message across. There was the greatest female athlete of our time reminding the tennis officials that she was a woman of grace, an honest professional, and a clean role model for her daughter.

I watched as Serena comforted Naomi Asaka in her moment of glory (albeit confusion), and as the two legends stood side by side and smiled through their tears. That image is what I use as an example of unity despite competition. Respect despite controversy, and support regardless of status.

When history reveals itself in another twenty to thirty years, we will see how these moments define a generation and influence the recipients. We will hear how the narrative plays out and see what it fosters. More greatness. Increased progress. Less anxiety. Many factors contribute to the mood of this moment in history, so it is my wish that those who have the "power" to influence and endorse and set trends use this opportunity wisely. For our future, and for our daily experiences. Every image, every word, every action counts.






Written by Stacey Marie Robinson for Kya Publishing's "Urban Toronto Tales" blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 100 Jamaican Names

Why I'm Willing to Forgive Kevin Hart...

Kevin Hart & The Wayans Bringing Funny Back to Television