Living in the Moment for 2011

Eckhart Tolle's literary voice of reason is so alluring and inspirational, that once you finish the last pages and close the cover of one of his books for good...you find yourself wishing you could continuously hear his thoughts, suggestions, and perspectives indefinitely as you go through your daily routine.

I just finished reading his book The Power of Now, and was equally as impressed with it as the previous book I read from him, A New Earth.

Like millions of others, I was introduced to Eckhart Tolle through Oprah's Book Club a few years back. Now I'm not one to run out and do whatever "Oprah says" usually, but this is one circumstance where I'm glad I decided to be follow-fashion, and jump on the New Earth bandwagon.

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (2005) taught me a great deal about the evolution of consciouness, perception vs. reality, and how the application of these concepts could inevitably benefit society at large.

It was a great read...and The Power of Now (1999) continues in the same vein, although this book preceeded the Oprah hit.

As it is only now the second day of 2011, I--like many others--am reflecting on the past year, events, circumstances, individuals, and formulating a plan to live the next year having learned from my experiences, good and not-so-good.

My completion of this book couldn't have been more timely, because rather than sitting back and reflecting on the past, ridiculous people, and unfortunate situations...Tolle's spiritual suggestions allude to forgetting about anything negative that happened in 2010...and even anything negative that might potentially take place tomorrow.

His message: the power of everything you need to know, and do...remains in this very moment.

Yes, it's almost cliche. We've all heard these phrasings, scriptures, and quotations that encourage us to "live life to the fullest" and "seize the day." However, what I like about Tolle's bestseller, is that while it may seem cliche in concept, it is very spiritual in tone.

From the beginning of the text, he suggests that a freedom from your own mind is essential: your fears, your paranoia, apprehensions, and ideologies that tend to control your actions. He recommends letting it all go...and just being. Being present, and being so concious of your actions that your behaviour is natural...and non-confrontational to others, or yourself.

He says to be "so utterly, so completely present, that no problem, no suffering, nothing that is not who you are in your essence, can survive in you."

Tolle stresses that our problems, apprehensions, and fears are a result of our own choices...and that in the moment--in the NOW--we always have the opportunity to choose to avoid pain, and avoid problems.

I could easily go on to quote countless excerpts from this book, but I would rather suggest you check out a copy and experience the full essence of the text. It is genius in it's simplicity.

Aside from celebrating the great moments of 2010....and rather than dwelling on the mistakes of the past year and how I can change them for 2011, I have been motivated to just focus on exactly what I'm doing right now. Today. I will still plan for the upcoming months, both personally and professionally. I will still be aware of the behaviours and actions that create unfavourable circumstances...and the bogus people that I can distance myself from in order to avoid unnecessary drama.

I will walk away from reading this book with a sense of enlightenment, and a sense of personal empowerment. For while I know that this moment in itself is powerful, I had forgotten just how easy it is to choose peace. Choose progression. Choose the life and experiences I want to have.

The best part about entering 2011 is that I'm prepared to not only apply the teachings of Eckhart Tolle...but knowing that deep down inside, I already knew it was time to release many behaviours, relationships, and external expectations.

This book just reminded me how peaceful a process it could be, and how much I could look forward to just BEING...as is...and knowing that with the power of choice and informed consciousness, this next year can be nothing less than what I choose it to be.

Happy New Year!

Quotes from the book...

  • All you really need to do is accept this moment fully. You are then at ease in there and now and at ease with yourself.
  • When you are fully conscious, drama does not come into your life anymore.
  • Dissolution is needed for new growth to happen. One cannot exist without the other.
  • Your perception of the world is a reflection of your state of consciousness.
  • Nobody chooses dysfunction, conflict, pain. Nobody chooses insanity. They happen because there is not enough presence in you to dissolve the past, not enough light to dispel the darkness.
  • You attract and manifest whatever corresponds to your inner state.

~Stacey Marie Robinson, Kya Publishing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 100 Jamaican Names

Why I'm Willing to Forgive Kevin Hart...

Kevin Hart & The Wayans Bringing Funny Back to Television