The Canadian International Auto Show // Cars & Creativity

I love the Auto Show, and rarely (if ever) miss it. I love the lights and the reflections, the curves of the vehicles, the car enthusiasts sitting in the front seats and running their hands across the features, and I particularly love watching the designs evolve and the brands present themselves over time. I prefer to attend as close to opening day as possible, when the crowd is thin and the view is unobstructed. Needless to say, after a long two years' hiatus, I am happy to see the festivities resume.

A chapter in Donovan Watkis' book Cultural Capital to Financial Capital: Reggae-Dancehall was on my mind all week, as I anticipated attending the Canadian International Auto Show's Media Day on February 16, 2023. In this chapter "Dancehall's Love Affair with Luxury Car Brands," he wrote about the connection through music over the years, with a few examples of songs from Beenie Man, Popcaan, and Bounty Killa.

In the same spirit as Watkis' reflections, my original intention was to solely profile my favourite car brand Audi, and I had selected a few favourite reggae songs to highlight, including Koffee's "Pull Up" where the brand is a major part of the chorus. Unfortunately, not only was Audi absent from the show, but luxury brands that I look forward to seeing like Jaguar, Benz, and BMW were also MIA, in addition to Honda, Ford, Volkswagen, Mazda, and a few other favourites (like Infiniti). A good portion of important car brands were notably absent from the dynamic displays.

Clearly downsized from previous years, it was probably not much of a surprise to the countless people waiting to even view or purchase new cars in Canada, restricted from global production issues and parts shortages.

Observing the hustle of the automotive journalists, executives, industry folk, and content creators, the intersections with Reggae Month and Black History Month were at the forefront of my mind. Particularly because I was only one of a handful of Black-presenting attendees at today's launch, and also because I was the only Black women that I saw during the few hours I was on the showroom floors.

Year-round, and particularly during "our" month, race is something that is always evident...unintentionally. It's just a reflex to notice, calculate, and analyze the racial make-up of various settings. Particularly new or occasional settings like the CIAS.

The lack of 'diversity' wasn't something that made me angry, or something that I could place blame on. Instead, it just made me think about all the ways that reggae music (and also hip hop and R&B music) praised and glorified cars--and particular brands--over the years. Much like the ways liquors and clothing brands were (and still are) given leverage because of their musical endorsements.

While we can now see and feel the emergence of clothing brands and liquors that are Black-owned, and we have lived to witness the transition of power from mainstream brands to brands developed for and by the Black community, I wonder if this will ever be the case with vehicles? And is this a necessary industry to look at with entrepreneurial expectations, through a racial/global lens?

They are praised and admired, and name-dropped relentlessly. Status symbols. Branding elements. Toys. Gifts. For someone that loves cars, they are everything and worth mentioning...for free. Without endorsement or partnerships.

I recall Rihanna's boo A$AP Rocky joining forces with Mercedes Benz last year for an apparel partnership, and imagine there have been conversations and mini-endorsements with a few other creative artists, but is this a lane that can be infiltrated with greater impact? Does the glorification (that I participate in, 100%) and name dropping of these vehicles have a future within the Black communities where reggae music and other genres originate?

This challenged my thoughts about the fascination in reggae-dancehall music with particular brands, and made me think about why I was so disappointed that the Benz and the Bimmas were not present at the show. I realize that while some are interested in the tourque, the horsepower, the gas mileage, and other technical features of the cars...I definitely appreciate this industry for its artistry.

I appreciate the innovation, the style, and the feeling it gives you on sight...much like new music can give you upon release. The creative energy is infectious in ways that mimic the transfer of feeling through melodies or basslines. I have concluded that the design and appeal of these particular vehicles serve as inspiration. Not only for financial reasons, showcasing the acquisition of wealth, or claiming one's perceived status...but also because of how the elements resonate with each individual. 

Despite the mechanics, and introduction of new technologies and innovations...automotive design is also an exquisite art form that other artists recognize and honour. From the inside out.

While my career as an automotive journalist didn't expand much further than my grad school internship at Automotive News in Detroit, exactly 20 years ago (!!), I am still extremely motivated to stay tuned into the industry, year after year, and know that I will consistently receive the inspiration that I seek from shows like this. Even without seeing the Audi S8 break lights in action. Or their concept cars, Activesphere or Urbansphere. Or to see if/how they improved their World Car Awards Car of the Year from 2022, the e-tron GT. The sexy R8 that you rarely see on road. Likewise, the cute-but-elusive TT. It was still a pleasant day.

This year's CIAS, runs until February 26 at the Convention Centre from 10:30am to 10:00pm daily. You can purchase tickets in advance through the show website AutoShow.ca.



__________________________________________________________

The two major awards from the Automobile Journalists Association of Canada (AJAC), presented this morning at the Convention Centre were for Canadian Car of the Year, given to the BMW i4, and the Canadian Utility Vehicle of the Year given to the Hyundai Ioniq 5.

FYI, the 2023 Canadian Car of the Year Category Winners include:

  • Best Small Car in Canada for 2023: Mazda3 
  • Best Large Premium Car in Canada for 2023: Genesis G90 
  • Best Sports Performance Car in Canada for 2023: Hyundai Elantra N 
  • Best Small Utility Vehicle in Canada for 2023: Toyota Corolla Cross 
  • Best Mid-Size Utility Vehicle in Canada for 2023: Mitsubishi Outlander 
  • Best Large Utility Vehicle in Canada for 2023: Kia Telluride 
  • Best Mid-Size Premium Utility in Canada for 2023: Lexus NX 
  • Best Large Premium Utility Vehicle in Canada for 2023: Volvo XC90 
  • Best Small Pick-up Truck in Canada for 2023: Ford Maverick 
  • Best Large Pick-up Truck in Canada for 2023: Ram 1500 
  • Best EV in Canada for 2023: Hyundai IONIQ 5 
  • Best Premium EV in Canada for 2023: BMW i4 
_________________________________________________________

If you'd like to read my contributions to the automotive industry as a young journalist in Motor City, here are some of my bylines with Automotive News: an obituary of Former Chrysler executive Elgar Laux, my man-on-the-street interviews at the SAE World Congress conference, a recap of a major snowstorm that affected car sales in numerous dealerships across the country, and a preview article of the "new" satellite radio for cars that was entering the scene. Another favourite: my interviews with 'Generation Y-ers' about car "models they're supposed to like," from the Detroit auto show floor in January of 2003. It was a year of automotive bliss that impacted my habits for a lifetime.





Written by SM Robinson for Kya Publishing's "Reflection & Reason" blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 100 Jamaican Names

Why I'm Willing to Forgive Kevin Hart...

Kevin Hart & The Wayans Bringing Funny Back to Television