Creatives During Quarantine

These are some interesting times. In fact, this is probably the most ambiguous moment most of us have ever experienced. When we look back at history, this will be a significant marker. Whatever this is. I don't even want to type the name. The ailment. The entity responsible for all of this, whatever "this" is. Whether it be a complete paradigm shift, or a major economic and manufacturing transition of society (insert theory here)...we will most likely be very different on the other side of this ordeal than we were coming in.

When the time comes, and we enter back into some form of normalcy and consistent routine...we are going to have an abundance of lessons learned, judgements made, and will move forward in a new way. When the time comes.

The universal time out is an interesting one, to say the least. It has provided a lot of time for reflection--both inward, and outward--and a lot of time to analyze our surroundings, our leaders, and the way in which our social ecosystem has moved, sustained itself, and evolved over the years.

It must be time for an evolution of sorts, because it's happening. Whether we like it, or understand it or not...we're going through it.

That being said, most of us have changed our daily routines. Whether it be working, parenting, socializing, or shopping, our routines have all shifted and we find ourselves all at home, with most of our resources and comforts being re-allocated temporarily. And going through this evolution, we have to really be strategic about not only how we spent our money, time, and resources, but also about what we are doing to stay strong, stay focused, and stay civil. The impact most felt will ultimately be the internal processing and challenges of personal will and determination.

I believe that God is present now more than ever, and am I thankful for my faith thus far and how it is guiding my perspectives and interpretations. I have faith that these challenges are going to manifest into bigger, and better things. I have faith that there is a reason and a lesson behind all of this. Many lessons, actually. Everywhere. It is just up to us to accept them, to manage them, and to improve as a result.

A few particular folks that are helping to manage these circumstances are my faves: the creatives. The writers, the artists, the musicians, the athletes, and the entertainers, etc. While I give utmost respect and credit to the historians, the scientists, the medical professionals, and public servants, etc., my heart has always been connected to the creative folk that exist and interpret society and events in real time.

Creatives are who I choose to uplift right now. The conspiracy theorists, fear mongering journalists, and panic-inducers can step aside. There is a time to indulge in drama and speculation...and there is a time to remain balanced and focused.

The value of the on-line teachers, the grocery store employees, public transportation staff, government officials, and everyone else sacrificing to ensure that society still runs relatively smooth...definitely can not be challenged. But the way Kevin Hart made me feel listening to him tell stories from his bed: also priceless.

On a day-to-day basis, I might not necessarily remember to tune into the Ellen Show, although I usually catch the best highlights on IG. I have probably missed the last 2 or 3 Kevin Hart films and his most recent stand up special, but that's not to say that I don't appreciate him as an artist. An artist that specifically belongs to our generation, much like Ellen. Over the past two days I've come across both of their social media profiles, by fluke and by referral, and had a really good laugh or two. And it felt awesome.

Ellen's at home bored, calling celebrity friends, and finding ways to entertain herself (and her audience). Kevin is remembering untold stories, and sharing them causally with his followers. It's all wonderful, and just a small sample of what creatives everywhere are doing to mobilize their peers...and contribute to humanity on a very natural level.

We can not take artistry for granted. And that is not to say that I ever did take it for granted, because as a writer myself (and an amateur musician), I 100% understand the importance of artists and creatives. It is my daily lifeline, regardless. It is also my livelihood.

I've been listening to a lot more Bob Marley this week, for example, and appreciating the lyrical content more than ever, and how it continues to transcend time and borders. I can appreciate that his lyrics were written during a time of hardship and social unrest...and yet the hardships of his time can still translate lyrically to the present time. These timeless compositions have the intrinsic ability to resonate. These carefully constructed lyrics of empowerment and inspiration have a very true, and very real place in our lives.

Bob, his peers, and "woke" musicians everywhere have intentionally created music to FEEL like motivation. They tell stories that FEEL like hope. The creatives have an amazing ability to transform and mobilize, when many of us may not have the energy to do either. They are naturally inclined to move us and make us smile, and think, and rejoice...just by showcasing their God-given talents.

Right now I'm tuned into Toronto DJ Starting From Scratch's live-stream of music, live from his home. I'm watching the numbers climb on Facebook, and reminiscing about the numerous times in the past when I was present at an SFS event, listening to those classic mixes. I am looking at the numbers of viewers climb, and recommending that friends tune in, from Chicago to Kingston, Jamaica.

I'm jamming in my seat at my home office desk, and I feel good. This is the power of music and the power of artistry. This is also the power of sacrifice, where a man like Scratch can take an evening and share his gift with the hundreds of peers and supporters and community members that are also at home...needing something just like this.

I just wanna thank everyone who is out there keeping the vibes positive, and sewing seeds of hope and love into the atmosphere. No room for anything but that, right now. I'm all for reality...but there's a time and place. And this is not the time nor place that I want to remember the often harsh realities of the world. Only the good. And there's plenty good out there. Plenty.

It's at times like now, not only do the creatives really exemplify what is best about humanity, but they are bringing folks together in a way that makes me feel grateful to be alive right now. In a technological era when we are able to connect...at a time when we are really so disconnected. It is the simple things like music and art and laughter that really normalize all of us.

I hope this serves as a reminder that if you are able to uplift, or if you are able to do positive and spread light, then by all means: now is the time. Now is the time to help others feel good and share that energy. Whether you are a professional or an amateur, these are the tools that we all have to draw on collectively to make sure that we all not only maintain our sanity, but that we also maintain our reality and humanity.

Like Scratch just said, of himself and his peers in the DJ industry who have also been performing live for music lovers across all digital platforms: "We're not doing this for money. We're doing this for y'all."

God bless the creatives. Truly. Better will come, and in the meanwhile, we have to take care of each other.





Written by Stacey Marie Robinson for Kya Publishing's "Urban Toronto Tales" blog.

Comments

  1. Thank you for taking the time to construct and share this very thoughtful and enlightening piece. Beautifully written and much needed during this time, as I needed a boost in my spirit. I haven't had much time to zero in on our creatives during this time and it is my duty to create room for it now. Love is the answer today and everyday during times of need. The expressions of love through music and entertainment is needed to uplift and carry a nation to something much more beautiful. Thank you for reminding me how special and important our creatives are. Please show us all your musician skills.

    Until next time, Jameel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top 100 Jamaican Names

Why I'm Willing to Forgive Kevin Hart...

Kevin Hart & The Wayans Bringing Funny Back to Television