Falling in Love with a New Genre // 11 Afrobeats that Moved Me

To fall this deeply into Afrobeats and Amapiano as of late is so refreshing and special to me, because discovering a new genre is something that can only truly happen a handful of times in life.

I'm a bonafide music lover. And I most definitely live and breathe Caribbean music. On a level. But this. THIS! This music has touched my soul. A few of these songs actually brought me to tears...and they're not even the "tears" types of songs. Pure joy. This music has recently spoken to me in a way that I have to embrace wholeheartedly. Not only because of how it sounds, but mainly because of how it feels.

I have to give credit to two DJs in particular who played the significant songs that sparked an entire musical movement for me. DJ Private Ryan, who dropped Akanamali on one of his mixes and sent me into a frenzy of discovery and downloading. Also Sir DJ Corey, who played Gcina Impilo Yam on a mix that moved my spirit to the heavens.

And yes, I'll give additional credit where credit is due: TikTok. TikTok sucked me in, and I absorbed the Afrodance and Afrobeats content. TikTok gave me an additionally stimulating window to enjoy this beautiful, spiritual music.

I'm thankful to those musicians, and DJs, and creators who stay so deeply connected to new music, and share it with others. I'm thankful for those who God has blessed with the creativity and talent to write, sing, play, dance to, and produce these songs. This role, in my life, is VITAL. I take my music very, very seriously.

I'm thankful that I have truly fallen in love with Afrobeats, and yes...also Amapiano. I want to share the reasons why, in the event that you have not yet experienced this musical bliss.

These eleven songs had me in a trance each in their own unique way, and slowly transformed the way I listen to, consume, and appreciate music forever. Please hear these compositions, chronologically, and enjoy the vibes...

SUN EL-MUSICIAN (FEAT. SAMTHING SOWETO) - AKANAMALI (2017)


DAVIDO - FALL (2017)


SAUTI SOL (FEAT. NYASHINSKI) - SHORT N SWEET (2018)


SAUTI SOL - SUZANNA (2020)


JOEBOY - LONELY (2020)


CKAY - LOVE NWANTITI (2020)


TEMS  & WIZKID - ESSENCE (2021)


DJ CLEO (FEATURING BUCY RADEBE) - GCINA IMPILO YAM (2021)


GOYA MENO NEKTUNEZ - AMENO (AMAPIANO REMIX) (2021)


REMA - CALM DOWN (2022)


JOEBOY - SIP (2022)


Honourable all-around mention goes out to BURNA BOY, who recently performed live at Madison Square Garden as the first Nigerian to headline the legendary stadium. Here's a dope write up about Burna Boy in Rolling Stone.

.

Who got next? I am watching Black Sherif right now, and I look forward to witnessing his continued evolution in the industry.

I love to see where this genre, this culture, and these artists are going. It's more than just music...it's a global recognition of the power, spirituality, and overall grace that is blessed upon mother Africa. An alignment rooted in sound, and driven by history. I'm here for it all.


Written by SM Robinson for Kya Publishing's "Reflection & Reason" blog.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 100 Jamaican Names

Why I'm Willing to Forgive Kevin Hart...

Kevin Hart & The Wayans Bringing Funny Back to Television