TORONTO URBAN BOOK EXPO 2020 // "Reflections" by Angela Walcott


REFLECTIONS – AN INTRODUCTION 

When I first heard that Kya Publishing was partnering with members of the Black Arts community to present stories and reflections on the times and the surrounding social environment, I was excited. I knew that as an artist, I wanted to be part of a platform that offered positive movements and social change with literature at the forefront of the discussion.

We’re living in unprecedented times: with countless stories of undocumented injustices to unusually high numbers of COVID-19 cases affecting our communities, there is a lot to face. These two factors have provided the necessary push to take chances in an effort to make sense of it all.

I am fortunate that I am one of the lucky ones because I have the tools to help me disseminate, summarize and reinterpret. And yet, I am facing a difficult task in that not all of these tools can convey the effects of this experience on myself and those close to me.  I have come to the conclusion that I can simply try to use this platform as an opportunity to engage my understanding of what art activism can represent. It can change perspectives and shed light on issues of fairness in the Black community: fairness in journalism; fairness in representation and mostly fairness in the arts. There are many voices that have come to the table both here and beyond, voices that are willing to show a different truth – our truth.
__________________________________________________


REFLECTIONS – MULTI MEDIA PRESENTATION
 
__________________________________________________

REFLECTIONS – CONTINUED...

A conversation about race and these unpredictable times we are now living in, spoke to me on many levels because (1) I have lived experiences; (2) I am Canadian-born and Toronto-raised, plus (3) I am an artist.

via Toronto Star
In order to give an honest representation of opinion though, I knew that it would involve some major research. This is something I learned early on from my writing instructors while studying Magazine Publishing at university. I knew that considering the circumstances of living under a lockdown during a world-wide pandemic, this wasn’t going to be easy.

So I put on my thinking cap and began to strategize. I relied on my artistic skills and forced myself to solve this problem creatively -- I forced myself to think outside of my quarantined box and realized that I would have to rely on modern technology.

I did general Google searches which turned up a lot of information. I found several online resources on the topic of race and Anti-Black racism. I discovered opportunities to participate in discussions or just quietly listen in on talks, conferences and presentations.

via Oprah.com
I even turned to traditional means of information gathering via television. Oprah’s 'Where Do We Go From Here' two-part live panel discussion with the likes of director Ava DuVernay; journalist and founder of the “1619 Project” Nikole Hannah-Jones; politician Stacey Abrams; actor David Oyelowo and NAACP national board member Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II. The discussion helped to shed light on the topic of race that I had long wondered about.

I knew things world was evolving when words like ‘generational trauma’ started to become a natural part of the conversation; an acceptable part of the Black lexicon a valid element of the Black experience. I had enough to write a 1,500 word piece but I felt I needed to find more.

Ben Hendren/ via Getty Images
I turned to journalism for answers and found them via CNN’s live coverage of the protests as a result of the George Floyd case in which an unarmed Black man was killed while in police custody. Paired with Don Lemon’s nightly news coverage, I was armed with a deeper understanding of what America represented for African-Americans: and the level of equality it had achieved after the Civil Rights Movement.

I marvelled at the team of reporters who delivered breaking news stories with precision, yet I wondered how the weight of these stories would impact them on a personal level. I wondered how these tales would begin to take a toll; how long would it be before these words would be internalized.

via Canadian Living
I remembered reading long descriptive passages of horror in the award-winning Washington Black by Canadian author Esi Edugyan. Edugyan methodically and skillfully detailed the brutality of slavery to the point where I couldn’t read it anymore – I had to take a break.  I began to question how she, as a writer was able to remove herself from details of masterful imagery she exquisitely recreated from those scorching heat of those haunting plantations to the printed page.

In an interview with the Art Gallery Of Ontario (AGO) Edugyan mentioned that during her research, after reading through the textbooks and documents and accounts of denigration and images that she would have to take a break – she needed to walk away.

via Washington Post
I, on the other hand, decided to broaden my search even further in an attempt to understand more about the complexities of my neighbour to the south. For years I wanted to immerse myself in the African-American culture and for years I eagerly found excuses. Either by way of sheer providence or random reasons that were self-imposed to delay my plans. Because of COVID-19 though, I didn’t have any more excuses. I saw the uncertainty of hedging my bets on tomorrow  and so tomorrow became today.

In my search to understand our complicated world, I tripped on open invitations via social media to attend a book clubs that openly discussed racism and anti-Black racism. I recognized the names but had no real knowledge of their works. I could easily slip across virtual borders in my virtual bubble and be back in time for dinner. I registered for a few and with my Eventbrite tickets in hand, I was on my way to a virtual America.

When I arrived, notable African-American writers, professors and scholars lead weeks of discussion on race, politics and the ordeal of slavery. While they sat in their homes sheltered from the pandemic that raged outside they looked comfortable. They discussed race, politics, violence, the media, film, slavery and everything else in-between and invited viewers to participate in the discussions. At times we were invited to Chat, Comment, Q & A and React via our devices or simply Dial in.

via WAMU.org
I discovered new books in the process which I devoured during the lockdown thanks to the Toronto Public Library system. Stamped: Racism, Antiracism and You by Jason Reynolds and Ibram X. Kendi, climbed to the top of my reading list. It also rose to the top of the New York Times list of best-selling non-fiction titles. Although intended for younger audiences, this remix of the Stamped from the Beginning by Kendi, resonated with me as an adult: it was the most honest historical account of the Transatlantic Slave trade and racial divide that I have read to date. Not only is it told in Reynolds’ signature style, it speaks with you not at you -- it explains without preaching.

via Toronto Star
Even though there was no Canadian content, I found it was relatable.  I felt like I was part of that ripple-effect despite my Canadian roots because similar events that were unfolding in the U.S., were also beginning to unfold in Toronto. My research could have easily stopped here but it didn’t. For me, the journey continued with my laptop serving as a pseudo passport. I didn’t need that passport though, because where I was going was closer to home. I was headed to Brampton. The Festival of Literary Diversity (FOLD) was affected, like most festivals this year because of COVID-19 in many ways the event was forced to reinvent itself which turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

via CANSCAIP
For years I had wanted to attend festivals but circumstances prevented me from doing so. Flashback seven years ago, while I was vacationing in the UK, I desperately wanted to attend the Canadian Society of Children’s Artists Illustrators and Performers (CANSCAIP) which was being held in Toronto. I discovered that there was an option to attend virtually so I did. From that point on, I silently hoped that this option would be available for other festivals in the future.
 
And so, the future is has arrived and FOLD 2020 has gathered diverse writers, publishers, editors and agents to share their work through panel discussions, workshops and author readings. And, the icing on the cake is that this is achieved purely on a virtual scale. Under the direction of FOLD Festival Director and Founder Jael Richardson, the virtual presentation was interactive, lively and convenient.

via Today.com
Across the border, news began circulating that a #KidLit Rally for Black Lives hosted by Brown Bookshelf  was in the works with a Zoom broadcast and a Facebook livestream. The event brought in a record Zoom attracted 14,000 viewers  while Facebook saw about 6,600 attend from the comfort of their homes. Noted authors included Kwame Alexander and Renee Watson just to name a few.

via Texas.gov
This event was followed by a highly anticipated Canadian kidlit version hosted and organized by author Nadia Hohn. Presenters included Angelot Ndongmo, Zetta Elliott and S.K. Ali to name a few.  I ended the day by visiting Texas for a Juneteenth Festival with live performances from Texas.

African-Americans have been celebrating the Emancipation from slavery for years. I had attended a celebration in Buffalo over twenty years ago, but I did not fully appreciate nor really understand the significance until this pivotal moment in time.

Angela Walcott
I look back on the resources and documents and discussions and I know that I am fully prepared to begin this storytelling adventure. I realize that I have more than enough. I believe that with the right amount of finesse, I can alleviate some of the crippling guilt, shame, disgust, fear and sense of hopelessness that has surfaced as a result of the pandemic and ongoing racial tensions.

I know that my words can’t easily provide answers but they might help to point out possible solutions. My ability to swirl a bit of color on canvas or tinge ugly imagery into something aesthetically pleasing is part of my artistic process. I also know that I can’t possibly tell the full story in a matter of 1,500 words. I do know that this is good enough. It is the best place to start and it is great place to continue the journey.


Angela Walcott is a Toronto-based freelance writer, copy editor and visual artist. She is the author of I Want to Be. Angela is currently working on a middle-grade novel. Twitter: @angelwinged.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 100 Jamaican Names

Why I'm Willing to Forgive Kevin Hart...

Kevin Hart & The Wayans Bringing Funny Back to Television